February 21, 2022 – December 2, 2022 (40 hours/week)
About Shalom Farms
Shalom Farms is a nonprofit, food justice organization that seeks to build healthy communities by growing and sharing healthy food. On our two Certified Naturally Grown farms we work with thousands of volunteers from all backgrounds each year to produce more than 200,000 pounds of fruits and vegetables, which we distribute throughout the Richmond, VA, metro region through a variety of programs and partnerships.
About the Position
The Farm Crew Leader is a season-long, full-time, $16+/hour position on Shalom’s 16-acre farm in Powhatan, VA (2676 Venita Rd, Midlothian, VA 23113.) Under the guidance of the Director of Farm Operations and the Farm Manager, the Crew Leader will manage the farm’s interns, Farmers in Residence, and volunteers in daily farm tasks. The crew leader works closely with the Farm Manager and the Packing Coordinator to successfully harvest for programs, earned income, and Feedmore. They will have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of our sustainable vegetable farm operation. This person should have a strong desire to lead others with enthusiasm and efficiency in a fast paced environment. At least one season of experience in intensive vegetable production is strongly preferred.
- Lead crew with field work as assigned. Typical tasks include sowing, planting, harvesting, amending soil, washing/packing produce, and field preparation/maintenance
- Train crew in harvesting techniques
- Assist with volunteer and educational groups as needed.
- Make deliveries to the city as needed
- Participate in implementation of crop plan
- Help with the general organization and maintenance of all farm equipment and outbuildings
- Will assist with overseeing interns, Farmers in Residences and volunteers with field work and projects
- Candidate Qualities
- Strong desire to learn and grow as a farmer
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work hard in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more
- Ability to multi-task
- Detail oriented and organized
- Commitment to social justice
- Values diversity and enjoys working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, rural/urban and religious lines
- Ability to work both alone and with groups
- Ability to take initiative
- At least 1 year of intensive vegetable production experience
- A driver’s license and clean driving record
- Management or supervisory experience
To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to Seyra Whitney, Farm Manager, at email@example.com.
Applications due November 15, 2021.