Shalom Farms is a regional food security, community development project of United Methodist Urban Ministries of Richmond (UMUMR).
Begun in the fall of 2008, Shalom Farms is a nonprofit community farm project with the overarching goal of increasing food security in the Richmond region, particularly in low-income urban neighborhoods. In collaboration with many diverse and expert partners, the project continues to reach its goal through:
1) Growing an array of healthy produce to provide underserved communities;
- Using high-density urban farming techniques that are replicable in urban communities
2) Providing experiential learning opportunities for children and adults on:
- Gardening for food production
- Cooking and eating nutritionally
- Food preservation and storage
- Food-based entrepreneurship development
3) Linking community groups to a wide range of food security resources and partners.
4) Using Asset Based Community Development (strengths orientation) to build neighborhood
Together we grow healthy food, family, and friends.
The Farm’s Goals in their own words:
Financial contributions allow us to maximize your donations, but donations in whatever form are always greatly appreciated. Here is a list of some of our specific supply needs at the farm. Thanks!
18 Gallon Rubbermaid Plastic Storage Bins
20 and 40 lb. Bags of Organic Fertilizer (Southern States)
Bulb Planters (Southern States)
Chicken Seed (Southern States)
Extension Cords (any length)
Fiskars Hand-held Pruners
Pitchfork (Lowes/Home Depot)
Scale (order online and ship to 1010 W. Laburnum Avenue)Tool Box and/or Tools (wrenches, pliers, hammers, screw drivers, etc.)
Email Steve (email@example.com) for drop off information.
Directions to Shalom Farm from Richmond:
- Take 64W to Oilville/Goochland (exit #167), go .2 miles
- Turn LEFT on Oilville Road toward Goochland, go .6 miles
- Turn RIGHT on 250 W (Broad Street Rd.), go .8 miles
- Turn LEFT on 632 (toward J Sergeant Reynolds campus)/ Fairground, go 5.1 miles
- Turn LEFT on 522 S/ Sandy Hook, go .3 miles
- Turn RIGHT on 6 W (River Road) to Scottsville, go 3.4 miles
- Turn LEFT on 600/Rock Castle Road for 3.7 miles
- Veer LEFT at the fork, staying on Rock Castle for 1.1 miles.
- Pass the main Camp Westview on the James entrance on your right
- The Shalom Farm entrance will be .9 miles down Rock Castle on the right (red cattle gate)
If you are using a GPS you may use the following:
1033 Rock Castle Road
Goochland, VA 23063