Northside Farm Fall Intern
Shalom Farms is a nonprofit working with communities to increase access to healthy food and the support to live healthy lives. We work with thousands of volunteers from all backgrounds each year to produce more than 200,000 pounds of produce. We distribute this produce throughout the Richmond area through a variety of programs and partnerships.
We started growing on our Northside Farm in 2018, and produced 10,000 lbs. of food on one acre. We will continue to grow on one acre this season with even more intensive production, and are looking for an intern to participate in every aspect of our sustainable vegetable farm operation. The intern will work under the guidance of the Northside Farm Manager, ideally from mid-August to mid-November, for at least 15 hours per week.
- Assist with field work as assigned. Typical tasks include sowing, planting, harvesting, amending soil, washing/packing produce, and field preparation/maintenance.
- Assist with volunteer and educational groups as needed.
- Make produce deliveries to Shalom’s office as needed.
- Participate in implementation of crop plan.
- Help with the general organization and maintenance of all farm equipment and outbuildings.
- Will assist with overseeing volunteers with field work and projects.
- Strong desire to learn and grow as a farmer
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work hard in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs or more
- Ability to multi-task
- Detail oriented and organized
- Commitment to social justice
- Values diversity and enjoys working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, rural/urban and religious lines
- Ability to work both alone and with groups
- Ability to take initiative
- Farming or gardening experience is strongly preferred.
- A driver’s license and clean driving record.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship, and we are willing to work with candidates who have the opportunity to use the internship for academic credit.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For more information, feel free to email, visit our website www.shalomfarms.org, or find us on Facebook and Instagram (@shalomfarms).