March 1, 2019 – December 1, 2019; 40 hours/week
Shalom Farms is a nonprofit community farm project working with communities to increase access to healthy food and the support to live healthy lives. We work with thousands of volunteers from all backgrounds each year to produce more than 200,000 pounds of produce. We distribute this produce throughout the Richmond area through a variety of programs and partnerships.
The Farm Crew Leader is a season long, full-time position on Shalom’s 12 acre farm in Powhatan, VA. Under the guidance of the Director of Farm Operations, Assistant Farm Manager and Volunteer and Education Manager, the Crew Leader will manage the farm’s interns, Farmer in Residences, and volunteers in daily farm tasks as well as managing propagation in the Greenhouse. The crew leader works closely with the Assistant Farm Manager and the Packing Coordinator to successfully harvest for programs, earned income, and Feedmore. They will have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of our sustainable vegetable farm operation.
- Lead crew with field work as assigned. Typical tasks include sowing, planting, harvesting, amending soil, washing/packing produce, and field preparation/maintenance.
- Manage greenhouse propagation. Train crew and volunteers in sowing techniques; keep greenhouse clean and organized.
- Assist with volunteer and educational groups as needed.
- Make produce deliveries to the city as needed.
- Participate in implementation of crop plan.
- Help with the general organization and maintenance of all farm equipment and outbuildings.
- Will assist with overseeing interns, Farmers in Residences and volunteers with field work and projects.
- Strong desire to learn and grow as a farmer
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work hard in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs or more
- Ability to multi-task
- Detail oriented and organized
- Commitment to social justice
- Values diversity and enjoys working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, rural/urban and religious lines
- Ability to work both alone and with groups
- Ability to take initiative
- At least 1 year of farming or gardening experience.
- A driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Management or supervisory experience.
Compensation: $13-$14 per hour (based on experience). Unlimited produce from the farm.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.